Photobucket Capital Regiment Homepage
The Official Capital Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps Forums
March 28, 2024, 08:32:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Arcade Store Classifieds Gallery Links Capital Regiment Website Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What I'm thankful for....

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What I'm thankful for....  (Read 2059 times)
John Taylor, RN
Rookie

Awards 0

« on: August 11, 2007, 09:16:14 am »

I know the title of this post probably sounds like it should be around Thanksgiving, but as the DCI season comes to a close tonight, I've been thinking alot about my season at Capital Regiment. I was driving home from the school where I teach now and I thought to myself, I couldn't have done this without marching at CR. I think in '06, alot of the members were quick to judge what might have gone wrong and let it affect us in a negative way. I just wanted to say that I am sorry for anything I may have ever said that was negative about what happened. I am sure I probably made a comment here or there that didn't help the situation. In hindsight, I owe alot to CR. If it wasn't marching CR I wouldn't have been able to join a winterguard that is as competitive as mine is. I would also not have the skills I have now to teach. I also know that without the drum corps experience that CR provided me, I wouldnt as well rounded a person. I think it just took me a little time to step back and realize all that this corps did for me and I just wanted to say thank you to every one that helped me. I hope the corps will be back on the field in 2008.

John Taylor, CRCG 2006
"And Lead Us On To Journey's End"

P.S. I just graduated WVU with my nursing degree and in about a month I should be an RN. If you need a corps nurse in 08 for a week or two, give me a shout.

Report Spam   Logged

John Taylor, RN
Volunteer Corps Nurse
CRCG 2006 Alum

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Karen Gabaree
CR Volunteer

Awards 0

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 12:52:32 am »

John,
     I want to say thank-you for making my day. It is such a pleasure to hear from members who can realize just what marching drum corps can do for them. Marching corps is not always easy and members give so much and it feels so good to hear that you can realize just what you did gain from the corps experience.
     I have two children of my own who have marched corps. Yes, there were the up times and the down times with them also. Yet, I have heard similar reactions from them on how marching did help them in many ways. It is comments like yours that make me proud to be a drum corps mom. John, thank-you.

Karen Gabaree

Report Spam   Logged
et_hd_rider
Proud Cap Reg Mom/Volunteer
Cap Reg Volunteer

Awards 0

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:04:50 am »

John

I also want to thank you for your post. I have 2 kids as well that have not only marched Corps but marched with CR. They had a wonderful experience and would not trade it for anything in the world. Karen is right, there are the ups and downs, the ups are the fun times and the downs are what make you a better person. If everyone would just step back like you have done and look at things all the way through they too would come to the same conclusion you have. Things are not that bad and it is not always greener on the other side.

I for one have seen the good and the bad, and you are right things are not what they always seem. There are reasons for them all, and the finger gets pointed quite often in the WRONG direction!

I am so proud to hear you say your time at Capital was worth it and that when you think back on the summer, you did have a good time! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rhonda Surratt              

One of your friendly food truck Volunteers 05-06 and beyond
Proud parent of
Jon 04-05 Baritone (05 age out) 06 Tour Assistant
Jenn 05,06,09 Trumpet
ginnyraven2005
Horn Sergeant
DCI Class of 2009

Awards 0

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 03:14:51 pm »

John your post has just made my day better........I loved my 2 years at Capital ........yes I was there for all the ups and all the downs......but the downs did nothing but make me a better person and make me want to work harder, so that it made it all worth it in the end........and if it hadn"t been for my 2 years there I wouldn"t be a visual tech at a high school right now i'm sure..........cause I wouldn't have had that experience to know what I was doing.......and now I get to do what I love doing must .....helping kids learn to march and have fun while doing it............

So I want to say my thanks with a lot of love to Capital Regiment(for being able to march there), the parents that were always there to help with the food truck and everything else they did for us and Rick Bays who did everything for us (whether anyone saw him do it or not)...............and I can't wait for the corps to come back in 08' so that i can march in Capital again.

Grin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 01:04:52 pm by et_hd_rider » Report Spam   Logged

Jennifer Surratt

Cap Reg member: trumpet player
05: Chiaroscuro
06: Life Rhythms: Work Rest and Play
09: The storm
    09' horn Sergeant and age out
"A bad leader makes people follow them, a good leader has people follow them willingly"
GregSmith
CR Volunteer

Awards 0

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 01:29:16 pm »

Wow.  All I can say is this makes me remember why we do what we do.  Seeing comments like these make me extremely proud to be a part of this organization.  Sometimes we just don't hear them enough.  Thanks to all of you for posting here.
Report Spam   Logged

Greg Smith
CRDBC Board Member & Volunteer
Rick Bays
Director

Awards 2

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 12:34:08 am »

Hello John,

Thank you for taking the time to post something that you have taken the time to reflect on.  Corps isn't all about spinning your weapons, playing your horns or playing your percussion equipment.  Corps is far more than any of that.  Especially when your show is only 10 1/2 minutes long out of an 24 ENTIRE day.

The challenges any corps has is tremendous in and of itself.  The fact you take a touring unit that has 165 people that includes Members, Staff, Drivers, Volunteers and others;  the fact that all are dependent upon mechanical equipment that in itself is subject to malfuction.  PIT Amplification included!!!;  all the things that need to be done to ensure the whole operation runs as smoothly and efficiently as it can and have people to help make that happen;  any number of things happen and will happen with or without all the care in the world.

I have toured in 2007 with two different organizations.  It was a great experience.  If anyone paid any attention at all, you will know that corps in 2007 had their share of bumps in the road too.  One notiably lost their food trailer for nine (9) days.  One learned almost an entire new set of drill while on tour.  One who experienced a huge rut in the road.  Problems happen and they happen to the best of them.  Can all problems be forseen and prevented? 

I appreciate the fact John you reflected and came to the realization you posted.  It is very appreciated you said what you said.  I suspect that many others will also recognize their experience in 2006 wasn't as bad as they said.  The difficulty John is many things were said and said by people who weren't in a position to say things and different goals from some and those telling things they didn't have the whole story on made for a very confusing situation for members.  Did 2006 have some significant bumps?  Yes it did.  Were there some good times?  Yes there were.  Did the corps get fed?  Yes it did.  In fact, if you look at the Information Guide supplied by the corps, we promote the fact we feed about 85% of the food while on tour and the reason(s) behind it.  In 2006, the corps only bought three (3) meals on their own which means the corps fed you 97% of your food.  That John is only one small piece of what was spread incorrectly in 2006.  Additionally, I suspect you are seeing that the majority of what was said last year is mostly incorrect.  Probably 95% of what was said and posted is wrong and about 5% or so is true. 

I think we all recognize that last year wasn't the smoothest year ever.  I would challenge anyone to find any drum corps that had a perfect season.  Perfect seasons never happen.  Does a season have to be terrible?  No.  While many have no idea what I did and the level of effort that was exerted, it really is very easy for people to say things without knowing the whole situation.

Case in point here.  The corps, the Pit specifically, was really angry when I let our truck driver, Mike, go last year.  They accused me of many things.  Continued to accuse me of destroying the season.  Here's the story about Mike.  In one of our trips and through a construction zone, he side swiped a car and nearly killed two people.  A young couple who had just gotten engaged and the guy was moving his girl friend to California with him.  Mike didn't even know he hit the car and messed up the entire passenger side of the car.  Additionally, I saw him buying beer.  To deal with the problem, Capital Regiment has a responsibility to the corps and to other road users.  When you have a guy who nearly killed a couple, you are definitely not entitled to be behind the wheel of a big rig.  And to buy beer, for whom he said was for someone else, you are not entitled to drive for Capital Regiment.  The decision was made and action getting ready to move, he quit before he was let go. 

There are many many things John that are taken out of context and I'm certain this will make it to Drum Corps Planet.  That will be unfortunate as most people there weren't even involved or around to know what happened.  Many are going on things that people post.  I'm not sure how much validity people have when they call volunteers fools or say they were fed slop by the volunteers who give up their time to come work with the corps.  I think there are incorrect facets at work here and people running with mis-information saying things when the knowledge isn't available.

In closing, I would like to thank you for taking the time to make this post.  It is appreciated.  And congrats on your Graduation and good luck on becoming an RN soon.  I'll definitely keep you in mind for the 2008 season for Medical Consideration.  That will be helpful in addition to Drum Corps Internationals Medical Summit Team.

Take care John.

Report Spam   Logged

Rick Bays
Director - Capital Regiment
fugi
Rookie

Awards 0

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 08:41:50 am »

Excellent post Rick. Well said.
Report Spam   Logged

~Fugi
Cap Reg 99-2000
The Cadets 2001
Rick Bays
Director

Awards 2

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 02:13:18 pm »

Thank you Fugi.

How are things going with you?  Are you still part of a Band.  That seems to be the last I remember is that you were part of a Band and it was going well.

Report Spam   Logged

Rick Bays
Director - Capital Regiment
fugi
Rookie

Awards 0

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 12:09:45 pm »

Things are going well. I am currently working for a software company in Augusta, GA doing documentation and graphic coordination. Living in a small town in South Carolina with my wife and step daughter. Not playing in the rock band anymore. I decided that I needed to focus on some other things in life.

Musical I still write and teach at a local high school and worked with the bassline at Carolina Gold Senior Corps in 2006. They didn't field a corps this year but hope to return in 2008. Not sure if I will return to tech in 08. If you search for Carolina Gold on youtube you can find a video of the bass ensemble from DCA I&E.

I always think of my time at Capital Regiment very positive and I don't go a day without remembering the lessons learned (music or otherwise) from those two seasons. Wish I could have made it to Columbus for alumni gathering. Maybe this year I will!

Hope everything is going well for you Rick and for the return of the corps!
Report Spam   Logged

~Fugi
Cap Reg 99-2000
The Cadets 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Comments or Questions email webmaster@capitalregiment.org
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum