Photobucket Capital Regiment Homepage
The Official Capital Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps Forums
April 18, 2024, 06:40:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Arcade Store Classifieds Gallery Links Capital Regiment Website Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What is a CR Audition normally like?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a CR Audition normally like?  (Read 822 times)
Michael Relko
Rookie

Awards 0

« on: August 31, 2008, 06:05:43 pm »

Im just curious what happens when you go in for the one on one audition, is there sight reading or anything.  If someone could run me through an audition that would be extremely helpful.
Report Spam   Logged

Michael Relko
Capital Regiment Trumpet 2009

Dublin Jerome Marching Band
2004 - Riverdance
2005 - Aaron Copland
2006 - Take a Chance
2007 - The Planets

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rick Bays
Director

Awards 2

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:52:07 pm »

When you go in for your one-on-one audition, typically, you will be asked to play something you have prepared.  If that is something you have played during your marching band season, that is fine.  Brass players are typically asked to play some general scales too.  The staff is looking to see if you know them and then your range on them. 

With the new incoming staff, I don't know specifically what the new Brass Caption Head has in mind.  We are in the midst of putting the final touches on a couple pieces of the puzzle and then I will ask each of the Caption Heads to place a post up on the Forums.  What they will do is introduce themselves and then let you know what the process will be during the Audition camps.  I will also ask them to place a post as to what they are looking for and what they expect from those auditioning.

Those new staff members are keeping an eye on the Forums and they are seeing what is being posted.  I have specifically asked them not to post until we make the announcement of the Caption Heads and Designers.  That should happen very shortly.  That's what we are doing with putting the final touches on a couple pieces of the puzzle.  I'm thrilled with the caliber of staff that is coming on board and I personally think you guys will be taught by a great TEAM of Professionals.

Report Spam   Logged

Rick Bays
Director - Capital Regiment
Blake13
Private

Awards 0

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:16:43 pm »

In case I have a better chance of having someone able to fully answer my question, I have a question on battery auditions...

Do we need our own drums or will there be drums there?
Do we also need something prepared besides the execises that will be posted for our audition?

Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

*Capital Regiment 2009 Baritone*
*Dominion Storm 2010 Snare*

LHS Marching Eagles
2008- Crime Wave
2009- Dreams
redman
Rookie

Awards 0

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:47:25 pm »

its ok if u dont bring ur own drum but if u can i would.

percussion usually just audition as a group and just play the stuff in the packet
Report Spam   Logged
Rick Bays
Director

Awards 2

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:08:59 pm »

Typically with the percussion, you really just need to practice the stuff that will be up shortly.  As stated, the drum line usually will audition as a group.  For example, a group of people will be picked to play on the snares while the others will play on practice pads.  The staff will rotate those playing on pads to the drums.  From there, they may move a person that may be on the end closer to the center.  Everyone will have time on drums. 

We typically supply the drums too.  If you want to bring an extra snare, that should be fine.  Perhaps even an extra set to tenors.  I don't think I would bring any extra bass drums.  That's kind of weird. 

Also, we usually don't ask percussion people to have an audition piece.  However, with the arrival of a new percussion staff, I don't know if that will change just yet.  Any announcements for that will start to appear in the Staff Announcement Section of the Forum.  That is, after I make the Staff Announcements.

If you have any other questions, by all means, feel free to ask.  Someone will help you with the answers.

Report Spam   Logged

Rick Bays
Director - Capital Regiment
Novak
Bass is the place.
Rookie

Awards 0

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:37:33 pm »

I felt that I should ask my question here rather than make a new thread.  With that said, can we audition for more than one intrument within the battery?  Also, when will the audition material be released?  I don't mean to be a pain at all, but I remember reading that it would be released shortly and only required a reading over again.  Again, I don't mean to be annoying, I just want the material so I can sink my teeth into it.  I was also curious about the fact of uniforms.  Will we be using 2006's uniforms or are there new uniforms for 2009?  And this last question is directed at Mr. Overturf.  I read in the biography on the website and was curious about the snare line.  It isn't that important, but I know in 2006 the snares were tilted.  Being endorsed by Dynasty, do you plan on having the snareline tilted again or just flat?  It's just my curiosity talking.  Thanks for the replies in advance!  I look forward to November!

EDIT: Grammar Nazi
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:41:24 pm by Novak » Report Spam   Logged

"Too much consistency is as bad for the mind as it is for the body. Consistency is contrary to nature, contrary to life. The only completely consistent people are the dead."
     -Aldous Huxley

Obviously the McCheese Flam Muffin Inverted Grandma Tap is the most essential of all rudiments....
Bandguy
CR Volunteer

Awards 0

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 11:18:59 pm »

Please - don't ever consider asking questions as "being annoying".  Annoying is people who don't ask questions and create their own answers are, my friend. 

Percussion audition music - your enthusiasm is contagious!  I'm sure Tim will have the audition music up in plenty of time for you and others to get a good look at it.  Sometimes things gets held up a little out of caution.  For example, we don't want to tell you something, and then have to turn around and tell you something else.  We're looking to get things clear and right the first time, you see.

Tilting snares - Not real sure on this one.  The corps has played them both tilted and flat over the years.  It would be safe to assume the manner that produces the best quality sound with the best playing techniques of the players will be the way to go. 

Look me up when you get to camp - I'm the band director at the school you'll be coming to, and your humble host!  I look forward to being at your service!

Mendell Hibbard   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:12:00 pm by Rick Bays » Report Spam   Logged
FreeTrolley
Rookie

Awards 0

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 09:49:58 pm »

Alright, so the "prepared piece" could just be something from our maching show? ..cause I've been stressing out with not having found an audition piece yet.

If that's the case, I think I can do WAYY better than I originally thought, Tongue

Also, what if there are long rests within the song? should we count through them or just skip?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Comments or Questions email webmaster@capitalregiment.org
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum