Photobucket Capital Regiment Homepage
The Official Capital Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps Forums
April 18, 2024, 03:10:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Arcade Store Classifieds Gallery Links Capital Regiment Website Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Capital Regiment Drumline 2009

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Capital Regiment Drumline 2009  (Read 13136 times)
GChaffin
Rookie

Awards 0

Bass Tech

« Reply #360 on: October 23, 2009, 01:56:52 pm »

Kyle, I will try to answer some of your questions.  I am probably the busiest percussion staff on the forums.  T.O. (Caption Head) stays pretty busy with his schedule.  So, feel free to private message me and ask anything.

1. Rudiments-While it is not a requirement to memorize the standard and hybrid list we appreciate our students to have a good understanding of various rudiments.  It shows versatility and knowledge of the art. So, advice: Learn them and be familiar with them.  It can only help you.

2. Different spot-If you are able to play other instruments we like to know that upfront.  If we see a student is struggling with their "#1 instrument" we try to persuade them into another instrument.  We want everyone to earn a spot with Capital Regiment.  But, we all know that is impossible.  So, advice: If you can play something else...let us know and let us have a look there too.  (Some of our auditionee's ended up in the hornline last year!)

3. Advice-While I wasn't a member of Capital Regiment, I am part of the staff and I have auditioned and marched else where. My first time auditioning I was very nervous and had no idea what to expect.  So, it was tough, but I pushed myself to adhere to what ALL of the techs were saying. Confidence is key when auditioning. Come prepared and with a good attitude.  If a staff member teaches a different technique or approach, don't say "That's not the way I/my instructor does it."  Go with the flow and be able to adapt.  Stay positive and friendly.  Listen to what the staff has to say and NEVER be afraid to ask questions.  Be courteous to others and be willing to assist the volunteers...THEY DESERVE IT!!!  Also, try to get in a drum circle and pad with vets...They are a good influence and tend to know what the staff is looking for.  I hope this helps you and others reading the forums!  Best of Luck!
Report Spam   Logged

"I succeed because I refuse to fail"
Blake13
Private

Awards 0

« Reply #361 on: October 23, 2009, 03:07:18 pm »

So, advice: If you can play something else...let us know and let us have a look there too.  (Some of our auditionee's ended up in the hornline last year!)

Like me. You never know, I had a blast in the hornline last year. I'd rather be in the line though of course...but if you don't make your first choice, there's always front ensemble spots you could go for.
Report Spam   Logged

*Capital Regiment 2009 Baritone*
*Dominion Storm 2010 Snare*

LHS Marching Eagles
2008- Crime Wave
2009- Dreams
Conor M. Devins
'09 Synth
Rookie

Awards 0

« Reply #362 on: October 23, 2009, 05:49:23 pm »

Blake does not mean to imply that the front ensemble is any less important than the battery.
Report Spam   Logged

Cody no!!!
CRP09
AshlandAPhi12
Colorguard '09
Rookie

Awards 0

« Reply #363 on: October 24, 2009, 01:04:15 am »

Word. The front ensemble is beastly.  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

We are passion, we are pride, we are excellence..we are Capital Regiment!!!

Capital Regiment
9'09 Guard Vet
Blake13
Private

Awards 0

« Reply #364 on: October 24, 2009, 11:42:52 am »

Oh no definitely not. I was going to go but I can play mallets that good at all.
Report Spam   Logged

LHS Marching Eagles
2008- Crime Wave
2009- Dreams
g2bratliff
Rookie

Awards 0

« Reply #365 on: October 27, 2009, 11:18:52 am »

Thank You Very Much This Helped A Ton And I Cant Wait For Audition And I Can Play Snare And bass Mainly snare But I Would Be Willing To Do Either Of Them But IWould prefer Snare Smiley Thanks Again And Im Going To Continue Practicing Smiley
Kyle, I will try to answer some of your questions.  I am probably the busiest percussion staff on the forums.  T.O. (Caption Head) stays pretty busy with his schedule.  So, feel free to private message me and ask anything.

1. Rudiments-While it is not a requirement to memorize the standard and hybrid list we appreciate our students to have a good understanding of various rudiments.  It shows versatility and knowledge of the art. So, advice: Learn them and be familiar with them.  It can only help you.

2. Different spot-If you are able to play other instruments we like to know that upfront.  If we see a student is struggling with their "#1 instrument" we try to persuade them into another instrument.  We want everyone to earn a spot with Capital Regiment.  But, we all know that is impossible.  So, advice: If you can play something else...let us know and let us have a look there too.  (Some of our auditionee's ended up in the hornline last year!)

3. Advice-While I wasn't a member of Capital Regiment, I am part of the staff and I have auditioned and marched else where. My first time auditioning I was very nervous and had no idea what to expect.  So, it was tough, but I pushed myself to adhere to what ALL of the techs were saying. Confidence is key when auditioning. Come prepared and with a good attitude.  If a staff member teaches a different technique or approach, don't say "That's not the way I/my instructor does it."  Go with the flow and be able to adapt.  Stay positive and friendly.  Listen to what the staff has to say and NEVER be afraid to ask questions.  Be courteous to others and be willing to assist the volunteers...THEY DESERVE IT!!!  Also, try to get in a drum circle and pad with vets...They are a good influence and tend to know what the staff is looking for.  I hope this helps you and others reading the forums!  Best of Luck!
Report Spam   Logged
sharkbait
Rookie

Awards 0

yeah...i play cello too <3

« Reply #366 on: November 20, 2009, 08:14:53 am »

Like me. You never know, I had a blast in the hornline last year. I'd rather be in the line though of course...but if you don't make your first choice, there's always front ensemble spots you could go for.

are you saying front ensemble isn't that popular?? if so, that's kinda good news for me!!
Report Spam   Logged

Ally Jagoda, Pit Hopeful

"Music is not meant to impress, it is meant to express."
-Dr. Knight
Blake13
Private

Awards 0

« Reply #367 on: November 20, 2009, 02:36:48 pm »

are you saying front ensemble isn't that popular?? if so, that's kinda good news for me!!

no. but i am saying that a lot of people who weren't confident on the main instrument they were going for on drumline switched to audition for front ensemble. there were not many people at the camp in November last year, but I am fairly sure that was because Capital Regiment was coming back into DCI after two years of being inactive. This year, I would expect way more people to show up since we're out there, finalists, and top 5 in Open Class first year back.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

LHS Marching Eagles
2008- Crime Wave
2009- Dreams
sharkbait
Rookie

Awards 0

yeah...i play cello too <3

« Reply #368 on: November 20, 2009, 06:53:08 pm »

haha cool =)  I like competition
Report Spam   Logged

Ally Jagoda, Pit Hopeful

"Music is not meant to impress, it is meant to express."
-Dr. Knight
silthrim11
Rookie

Awards 0

« Reply #369 on: December 10, 2009, 12:28:43 pm »

I'm Carolyn and I'll be auditioning for the bassline.  I don't have tons of expierence, since I've never marched corps before or anything and my high school line is mediocre at best, but I really want to get better and I figure that this will be a great expierence. 

Who else is auditioning for bass?
me me im tyler rakowski, im hoping to play bottom bass woohoo good luck and may the best people win lol
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Comments or Questions email webmaster@capitalregiment.org
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum